Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tied Up In Knots

Spent a day at Greenfield Village tying knots!

We are tying the new warp on the Jacquard loom to the old warp since it is easier than threading the 440 heddles which just attached to wights and like to get tangles.  Didn't quite get done so will finish next week.

Last week four of us wound the 20 yard warp on.  It is amazing how long that takes - even with four of us working on it.  But the best part of last week was that I got to meet Abe and Lincoln.

Abe and Lincoln are two new horses work horses that arrived at the village that day.  They were on their fist "walkabout" since being unloaded from the trailer.  They are raised by the Amish and were purchased to replace a retiring teams to pull one of the wagons at the village.  We were asked to come out and pet them since they need to start getting used to having lots of people around them.  During my high school days I used to ride regularly.  They had a riding club at school and all my baby sitting money went to riding lessons.  I don't think I had been near a horse though since I had graduated from hight school.  Though the ones I rode were not near as big as these horses.

No comments: