Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Where is the Soul

I am currently reading the book, "The Hero's Journey" by Joseph Campbell.  I now know he was very popular in the 70's and 80's but I had never heard of him.  I am finding the book quite insightful and starting yesterday - I began underlining passages in it.  Now I NEVER underline in books, just like I never write notes in books.  But there were quite a few comments I wanted to refer back to.  So today, as I read I see the passage

          "Joe, what kind of meditation do you do?"  I said, "I underline sentences."

I guess I am following in his footsteps as a type of meditation.

The next paragraph has the following quote:  The seat of the soul is there where the inner and the outer worlds meet.  The outer world is what you get in scholarship, the inner world is your response to it.

I don't think about the soul much but to read two passages about it in one evening is a coincidence.   The other book (my purse book) that I am reading is "The View from Castle Rock" which is stories by Alice Munro.   In the story recounting her ancestors coming to Canada from Scotland, the character is asking where the soul leaves the body at the time of death.  Most say it hides in the lungs and leaves with the last breath.  The joke is that one character was so dirty it emerged from his "arsehole" with a large explosion as he died.

That definitely made me laugh and you have to laugh when you start thinking about the where is the soul - what is it that makes you who you are and what is important to you.