Thursday, July 28, 2011

Another Two Books Finished

Been doing much more reading in the evenings.  Finished two more books, one a collection of short stories "Servants of the Map" by Andrea Barrett and a memoir, "Are You Somebody" by Nualoa O'Faolain.  Both were my thrift store finds.

I usually do not read short stories but I do read them if they are by Alice Munro and I had read a collection by Barrett.  I was attracted by the name since I am in love with maps.  The first story was wonderful, about a group who is mapping the Himalayas in the 1800's.

I was intrigued with the second because of the title.  The author was in love with literature and the best part of the book was about her early reading.  "If there were nothing else, reading would--obviously--be worth living for." She lists a number of Irish and English authors I will be looking up.   She talks about being in boarding school and not being allowed to read fiction there.  Much too rigid for me.