Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Year of Books

Do many of you keep a list of the books that you read?  If so - how many books do you read in a year?  I started to do that in 1998.  I find it interesting at the end of the year to see how many books I read.

I have been averaging about 15 books a year which is the number I read in 2010.  By many peoples standards that is not very many - but I am sure it is more than most.   Looking at my log, I have had a low of 9 books in one year and a high of 23 books.  

The last book finished in 2010 was "Load and Clear" which is a collection of the newspaper columns of Anna Quindlen.   One of her columns was on reading.  Is reading really at the rising?  She quotes a survey from 1952 that states only 18% of Americans were reading a book or novel,  less than half in 1963 and 84% in 1999. Are that many people really reading?  I hope so but maybe it means that people were more ready to admit they were not reading then versus now.

What are you currently reading?