Friday, October 8, 2010

Red Bugs

I was telling someone about the natural dye workshop I took this summer when I was in Albuquerque at the weavers conference.  I mentioned we started from the original substance instead of the extract.  That included grinding bark and "bugs".   I women I know said she had a book that I might like so she brought it in to work and lent it to me.  The title is "A Perfect Red" by Amy Butler Greenfield.  It is the history red dye - primarily from cochineal.  For those who do not know what cochineal is - it is a snail like bug that grows one type of cactus.  It was a fascinating book.  I enjoy reading about history in this way - how one factor influences history.

The picture is from one of my trips to Mexico.  A demo was given with the person just squishing some of the bugs and applying it to the envelope.