Saturday, March 6, 2010

Another Encaustic Monotype Workshop


Took another workshop in encaustic monotypes with Leslie Sobel.  I believe I like this technique better than the other type.  I found the following description on the internet.


The Encaustic Monotype is an innovative, contemporary process and a painterly approach to printmaking. This process is experimental, freeing, and has been used successfully with a range of imagery and styles. The encaustic monotype combines the ancient painting medium of encaustic with the popular monotype process. Encaustic sticks (beeswax and pigment in solid form) are used to draw on a heated metal plate. The wax melts instantly and is manipulated with brushes and other tools. Absorbent paper is laid on the plate, the back is rubbed, and the image is transferred to the paper by hand.


I decided to try a couple pieces with color combinations that I do not usually use.  You can see a sample of what I did.